Wednesday, December 8, 2010

the desire to be poor

I have this desire to be poor. To be poor in the name of Christ. How wonderful it would be not to worry about tomorrow, but to love each moment of the day because God gave it. I believe that the poor of this world do not know the great gift they are given. If only they would feel content.

When you are rich you run the risk of feeling one very subtle disease -- insecurity. And when you are insecure, you fail to become what you were meant to become. I wish I was poor. Not poor in the accidental way, or because I was born in a poor family. I want to be poor voluntarily. To imitate our Lord who was poor, simple, humble.

 I want to cultivate this poverty of spirit that sometimes goes away, when the lure of the world, and the glitter of wealth catches the eye. But I want it forged in the heart of Christ. So when I am beset by the trials of life, I might in joy say, "Here I have found my place and lot in the world, to be despised, humbled, and weakened. That I may know my true place in the world as one who owns nothing, controls nothing. And that I can give everything because I possess all that my God possesses."

No comments:

Post a Comment